monday, 28 january of 2013

Austereo drops Hot 30 over royal prank call but DJs still have their jobs


Hot 30 program

Austereo drops Hot 30 over royal prank call but DJs still have their jobs

Infamous royal prank call DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian have escaped the axe despite employer Southern Cross Austereo's axing of their Hot 30 program over the weekend, two months after putting it in hiatus because of the suicide of a British nurse.

Austereo PR manager Vicki Heath said the former 2Day FM duo were still "absolutely employed" by the network, which was "working with them" to determine possible future roles during their continued "stress leave".

In an emailed statement Austereo CEO Rhys Holleran said the pair would return to work "when the time is right".

"We look forward to Mel and MC returning to work when the time is right, in roles that make full use of their talents - we will discuss future roles with them when they are ready," the statement read.

In December Austereo announced the Hot 30 had been "cancelled indefinitely", however the first indication it had been officially axed came on Australia Day when the network quietly broke news of a replacement show, The Bump, on social media channels.

A post on the Hot 30 Facebook page, the first since its apology of December 8, announced the program would be replaced by The Bump from tonight.

Ms Heath today confirmed the new show will be produced by former Hot 30 executive producer Emily Mills and assistant producer Ben Harlum, who had previously boasted on Twitter about playing the roles of the "corgis" in the royal prank.

Both took to their newly reinstated Twitter accounts at the weekend to spread the news about The Bump.

(Published by The Australian - January 28, 2013)

latest top stories

subscribe |  contact us |  sponsors |  migalhas in portuguese |  migalhas latinoamérica